Friday, July 15, 2011

Strawberry Jam/Preserves


Two weeks ago, I bought a box of strawberries from Costco (whole sale store) and ever since have been feasting on the luscious berries. Once I reached my strawberry saturation, I decided to make jam/preserves out of it. I am not quite sure if I can call it preserves..as I have not added any preservatives. Anyway, here is what I did. 
Ingredients 
1 1/2 cups - Chopped strawberries
3-4 tbsps - Sugar
1/4 cup - Water
Method
Add water to the chopped strawberries and let it cook. Once the berries are completely cooked, add sugar and stir. Leave it on low heat and stir occasionally. Keep going until all the water is gone and you are left with a nice thick, spreadable paste.
You can of course add more sugar if you prefer your jam very sweet. I prefer mine slightly tart, hence the 4 spoons. Also, if you want smoother jam, mash the berries while they are cooking in the water. Alternatively, you could also blend the berries before cooking. If you chose that route, you may not need water for cooking.
Substitute strawberries with berries of your choice and if you are adventurous, you could make a mixed berry jam. Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favourites